On photographs ...

One of the ongoing problems for anyone involved in politics, especially for those of us who have the misfortune not to be as photogenic as, say. Robert Redford, is to find photographs we can use which combine being recognisable, make us look like normal human beings, and are not too unflattering.

A further problem is that residents are getting more sophisticated in spotting when an image does not look quite right. There have always been a few idiots who put out doctored photographs - the Lib/Dems in Marshalswick and Sandridge were particularly prone to issuing Focus leaflets with badly altered photographs which any reasonably alert resident could spot - but a few people in all parties have been caught doing it.

I've always found badly faked images to be an irritating insult to the electorate whoever does it, but unfortunately from time to time perfectly genuine photographs can look as if they were created using Paintshop or a similar programme. I recently found to my disappointment that some photographs taken on a beautiful day in Keswick showing me with local landmarks like the Mary Hewetson Cottage Hospital or Keswick Jobcentre, could not be used because the contrast between my image and the buildings behind me was so sharp that these perfectly genuine images looked artificial.

I have also been concerned that on more than one occasion in the last six months people have complained that I don't look like some of the photographs of me which are in circulation.

On one instance I was eating my lunch in Whitehaven, minding my own business for once, and wearing my work passcard with a photograph on it, when a couple of ladies told my that they didn't think I look like the image on my passcard. On another occasion I was attending a Neighbourhood watch meeting, and someone failed to recognise me and asked who I was: on being told my identity he appeared quite upset, produced a sheet with mugshots of Copeland Councillors, and told me I didn't look like mine.

The fact that I usually wear glasses but occasionally use contact lenses instead doesn't appear to have been the issue. No, although I thought both photographs were reasonable likenesses, the ladies and gentlemen concerned didn't agree.

So I am quite relieved that a number of people we have spoken to while delivering one of my most recent leaflets have recognised me instanctly from the photograph on the front, which was taken by local Whitehaven photographer, Peter Reay. At last that's one image from which people can identify me, so thanks, Peter!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020