More thoughts on the Olympic Games

I was rather amused by the line in one of the papers

"Where can I find an Australian? I have an urgent need to talk about sport!"

Actually I do know where to find a pub in West Cumbria where there is an Aussie who serves behind the bar, but he won't do, because the day after England had lost a Test cricket Match to Australia he made some very sportsmanlike comment to me such as that both teams had played incredibly well and it was a shame one of them had to lose.

National stereotypes are never always right. (Though the saying applies, all generalisations are dangerous including this one.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020