Post 2000

This is the 2000th post on this blog since I started it seven years ago. (That is, I understand, a great age for a weblog.).

So I thought it would be interesting to check and publish a little bit about the blog itself and who reads it.

In those seven years there have been 1789 comments posted, and in the past three years for which I have traffic stats available, there have been 74,231 pageviews.

Currently the blog averages about 100 hits per day. 

There is traffic from all over the world. Unsurprisingly the largest source of traffic is the UK, but only about a quarter of the people who read this blog do so from Britain, and nearly as many were using computers in the USA. The other countries in the "top ten" where people read this are


Russia
Germany
France
Norway
Poland
China
Netherlands
Indonesia

High points: the blog has won three awards, being twice ranked among the "Top 100" Conservative blogs, most recently by Total Politics in 2009. While I was a councillor it was also placed in the list of the top 30 councillor blogs.

Low points: I originally wanted to avoid comment moderation, so that people who wanted to post something on this blog could see it immediately without waiting for me to approve it. Sadly a handful of negative individuals made this impossible. The worst example was when I posted an obituary tribute to a former public servant in Copeland who had died, and an anonymous critical comment was posted which offended his family and friends.

I was so horrified when this happened that I seriously considered shutting down the blog, but concluded that this would hand a victory to one spiteful person which he didn't deserve and that it would be more appropriate to continue but with tighter comment moderation.

I would like to thank everyone who has dropped in to read the blog over the past seven years, and wherever in the world you are, I hope you found it interesting.

Comments

JAK said…
Quite a milestone, well done Chris

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020