Post and Email

These days the vast majority of paperwork which we used to do in person or by post using paper documents can be done online. Most of the time this is very convenient but there are always exceptions ...

One of the most annoying is when you are doing one of the few remaining jobs which require physical paperwork. As it happens this particularly applies to many things relating to elections, although at least you can download most of the froms online.

I've been filling in a set of forms which has to go to Manchester. Every search I made for the address, every "contact us" link I clicked on came up with an email address or URL.

I was told "Doing things online is much cheaper than other contact methods, so means we can spend more on essential services." (sic).

All very well but this particular job required a hard copy which I am legally required to return by next week.

At last I found the "If you can't find what you want online" page. Phew!

Comments

Jim said…
my question to this is Why?

Why do you need a physical copy? I ask it at work a lot where we have to have "wet" signatures on a lot of documents, often up to 8 or 9 on the same sheet, and I often ask Why? Why is a scanned signature not acceptable?

same as a driving licence, why do you need a paper counter part?? In the states if you produce it they tell you "thats just a british thing, we done away with it years ago"

So i have to ask again why? what is the logic and reason behind you having to fill out a form by hand and then mail it for election purposes, what does this gain? why?

we live in the age of the internet, we have secure internet accounts (if you pay the pittence they cost) we have scanners, Hey for the last 30 or so years we have had fax machines, so why do you need to mail your original copy?

Over the years I know this is often the case people demand you do, and too many people just accept this as is. My point i guess is too many people just blindly obey, and way too few ask Why?

WHY? WHY? WHY?
Chris Whiteside said…
I don't personally think there is any logic in requiring a hard copy in most of these instances, and certainly not in the case of the form I had to send to Manchester this week.

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020