Congratulations to Rozila Kana and good luck in Workington

I have been following with interest the debate about Labour's all women shortlist in the neighbouring constituency to me, Workington.

As it happens, both Labour and the Conservatives will be standing women candidates in Workington in May.

The difference is that Labour will be putting up a quota woman, picked through a contest in which no men were allowed to apply, while the excellent Conservative candidate, Rozila Kana, won selection on merit in a contest in which she competed on equal terms with the male candidates who applied.

Rozila has 15 years service in the police, during which time she has received national recognition for her work including a number of national awards and commendations.

She is particularly keen to develop better job and career opportunities for young people and to encourage and improve economic prospects and wealth creation throughout the area.

Rozila is currently managing a European project on behalf of the police in collaboration with eight European partner countries.

Comments

Jim said…
Thanks, good to know who the candidates are, here. I must admit I have been a bit lapse on that since I left my Marra routes and became a Jam Eater.

Its very impressive for Rozila that she beat the other candidates, but I cant see why its more impressive that she beat some male ones.

its pathetic if its true that no male candidates were allowed to apply for labour(and quite possibly illegal as well). I can see why both standing candidates should be congratulated for winning. But I cant see how Either contestant can be judged on the gender of the other candidates they beat.
Chris Whiteside said…
I don't think it is important what the gender was of the other candidates in a contest in which both genders were allowed to apply.

I think it is, however significant if one party is so, in your word, pathetic, as to refuse all the potential applicants of one particular gender.

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020