The NHS is there to treat patients and care for the sick, not as some kind of weapon

Ed Miliband was asked at Prime Minister's Questions and on the Andrew Marr show if he had ever suggested that he wants to "weaponise" the NHS.

On yesterday's Andrew Marr show he was given five opportunities to deny that he had said this. He did not take any of them.

A transcript of the relevant part of the interview reads as follows:

"MARR: Did you use the word ‘weaponise’ about the National Health Service?

MILIBAND: What I’ve said is that I want a fight for the NHS.

MARR: Did you use the word ‘weaponise’ though?

MILIBAND: Well, look, I don’t recall exactly what I said, but we are in a fight for the National …

MARR: So it’s possible that you did?

MILIBAND: We’re in a fight for the National Health Service and I make absolutely no apologies for the fact that I’m really concerned about what’s happening to our National Health Service in this country.

ANDREW MARR: Sure but that word, which clearly infuriated the prime minister – ‘weaponise’ – does seem to a lot of people rather a cynical word to use about the NHS?

MILIBAND: I think what’s infuriated the Prime Min…

MARR: can I just ask, did you use it?

ED MILIBAND: I don’t recall exactly what I said, but what I’m clear about is that we’re in a fight for the NHS…

MARR:We can all see what’s happening in the NHS… But just before we leave this point, you know the prime minister called this a cynical and disgusting word. Do you disown the word ‘weaponise’?

MILIBAND: What I don’t disown or what I …

MARR: Do you disown the word?

MILIBAND: No what I absolutely, hat I absolutely stand by is that we’re in a fight for the future …

MARR: That’s an answer to a different question, if I may say so.

MILIBAND: I know, but we’re in a fight for the future of the National Health Service. Honestly, I don’t think this is about the words we use.

MARR: Well it is partly."

(Source here.)

So now we know - Mr Miliband cannot recall exactly what he said. He seems to be quite good at forgetting things, isn't he?

Comments

Jim said…
oh, have the labour party decided there is another NHS crisis, there must be an election this year :)

Its remarkable how closely linked a crisis in the NHS is to a general election. It seems to me you can't have one without the other. :)
Jim said…
its a shame you can't place a bet on it at the bookies. You see if the conservatives win this year (or if there is a con/someone else coalition then you could bet your bottom dollar there will be "an NHS crisis" in early 2020.

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020