BBC Sunday Politics Show today

The "North East and Cumbria" section of the BBC Sunday Politics show today covered the election for the first directly-elected Mayor of Copeland.

They filmed sections with all three declared candidates, and they did warn us that the clips used would probably only be a small proportion of the time filmed.

The broadcast is now available on BBC iPlayer.

I found it slightly disappointing that the BBC concentrated more the answers given by the candidates when they asked us about our personal experience qualities rather than anything much of what was said about specific policies. I am particularly disappointed that they did not have time to use what I said (or anything other candidates may have said) about the vital importance of West Cumberland Hospital. I for one stressed the importance of keeping all services and particularly consultant-led maternity provision at West Cumberland Hospital. (If you agree with this, please let the NHS Trusts know and tell them that on that basis you #SupportOption1.)

To give credit where it is due, I was pleased to be taken at my word that I wanted to talk about what they Mayor should actually do rather than about how much whoever gets the job should be paid, on which almost anything the candidates say is likely to bring politics further into disrepute. Instead they had the councillor who proposed the motion and a Time for Change campaigner to debate this.

I was also pleased, having asked to be filmed in a spot where magnificent views of Whitehaven Harbour could be seen behind me so that I could make the point about how beautiful the area is and how much scope to increase tourism, that the BBC did use some shots from that location which looked very good and cannot have done Copeland as a tourist destination any harm.

It was good that the BBC did give the mayoral election some publicity, but a slot lasting just a few minutes on TV could never really give full justice to the issues in the election. So over the coming 39 days it will be really important for all the candidates to set out our policies and give the voters enough information to decide. I have already set out some of my policies here on this blog and over the next few days I will publish the remainder: obviously that will only be part of my campaign and I look forward to meeting as many of the voters of Copeland as possible.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Who are all the pies?
Chris Whiteside said…
Who are all the pies?

Last time I looked pies don't have identities.

Just as some internet trolls don't have enough working brain cells to be able to spell three letter words.
Jim said…
I like pies. Pies are nice.

I'm not sure who all the pies are, but still they tend to taste good. They used to taste even better when you could buy a nice fresh hot one with out nasty EU taxes on them, but still they are nice.

Yup, pies are really nice, but that VAT leaves a nasty aftertaste. :)

^ oooh look, I don't have to hide behind an anonymous post to state a view, and critise something, and guess what? that tastes better than even a pie does.

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020