Some brand names just won't go away ...

After years of being a Facebook holdout I set up a Facebook page a few days ago for my mayoral campaign,

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chris-Whiteside-for-Mayor-of-Copeland/661109930660808

Facebook promptly started nagging me to add various bits of information some of which I had not originally considered relevant. It is hardly a secret that I work for BT, so I added this, to find that Facebook still lists the old brand name "British Telecom" in brackets after the company name.

It is now fully a quarter of a century since the company dropped the brand name "British Telecom" in favour of "BT" and paid Wolf Olins millions of pounds in 1990 money to organise the rebranding.

 I think this says something about the strength of habit - when a name, nickname or brand name gets into the human mind it can take a long time to go away

Comments

Jim said…
Too right, How long is it since the conservative party were the Tory's? It wont go away
Jim said…
I still also call a snickers bar a "marathon" and I will never call opal fruits "starburst"

dont care how much money they put into rebranding it
Chris Whiteside said…
I think the rebranding from "Tory" to Conservative is probably the oldest of those at more than 150 years. That name has gone full circle - it was originally an Irish insult meaning sheep thief, then got thrown at those who didn't want to exclude the Duke of York (later James II and VII) for being a Catholic, the insult was adopted as a badge of pride for 200 years. Then when the party decided to call itself "Conservative and Unionist" the word "Tory" mostly, but never entirely, went back to being an insult.

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020