My current Political Compass score

I thought I would revisit the Political Compass site to see where I currently stand and how it compares with the current view of the main political parties. This was the result.

https://www.politicalcompass.org/certificate?pname=Chris+Whiteside&ec=5.13&soc=-3.44






I do think that their analysis which uses two dimensions - left or right accordiny to your view of economic liberalism, up or down according to your degree of social authoritarianism (top) or liberalism (down) is far more helpful than a simple left versus right analysis.

I was not surprised to find myself still in the in the bottom right corner of the chart, but was very surprised to find myself alone there: Political Compass thinks the Lib/Dems have become more socially authoritarian and moved into the top right corner of the chart along with almost all the main political parties.

My previous scores have been a little further to the right and only just below the zero line between social authoritarianism and social liberalism, which to be honest I think is closer to the truth. They have me only slightly to the right of Labour on economics and well to the left of the Conservatives, which is frankly ridiculous.

I still believe Political Compass do a good job encouraging people to think about politics in a more sophisticated way, but their questionnaire appears, I think, to place people further "South" (more socially liberal) and economically nearer the centre than is perhaps the case, while the have placed all the main political parties significantly further right and a little further "North" than I would have.

Comments

Jim said…
You ended up in the same corner as I always do, though usually I am further down though and to the right. generally in the lower right corner in line with both "green" and "UKIP"
Quentin Langley said…
It is pretty lonely down in the bottom right. :)
Chris Whiteside said…
It seems to be lonely in the bottom right according to where they have put everyone: and yet surely that's where all the Orange Book liberals ought to be?

And at least some of the "Runnymede Conservatives?"

Not sure that the movement towards the Upper Right quadrant which the Political Compass people think they see does entirely fit with things like the legalisation of equal marriage.

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020