Quote of the day 13th September


Comments

Tim said…
Labour now has a proper Lefty in charge - Can we now have some real Conservatives ?
Chris Whiteside said…
Ok Tim, I know what I think a Conservative is but there are lots of different views on what the term means.

I'm interested to know what you're getting at, and for that reason, not to score a point, I would genuinely like to know the answer to this question:

How would you define a "real Conservative?"
Tim said…
Someone who conserves things, compare Britain in 1965 to Britain in 2015. Would a real Conservative be happy with 330,000 in net immigration ? Would a real Conservative support the failed experiment in comprehensive education ? Would a real Conservative want to be part of the EU ? Would a real Conservative be against the punishment of criminals ? Would a real Conservative support "gay marriage" ?
Jim said…
Hi Tim, I was a member of the Conservative party at one point, not a member anymore, though I tend to walk a different path to all of the parties these days, which is ok. However I once did consider myself a real conservative and would like to answer your questions.

1. Yes, so long as it was required skilled workers, yeah happy here.
2. No, I support state education, Though i agree, its got its out of hand
3. No, I never did support the EU, but then, that is an obvious one for me.
4. No, Criminals have to be punished, I am against capital punishment as i think better options are available, but I do think prisons should be prisons, not hotels, and that sentences are currently too short
5. Yes, I cant see a problem with it myself, I choose not to do it because I am not homosexual, but I cant see why that allows me to object to someone else doing it - On that one, Less government interference on things that the government should not interfere with, is a very classical "conservative" stand

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020