Quote of the day 22nd October 2016

"During my first term in office I voted against equal marriage for a whole host of reasons.

"I thought at the time what I was doing was right but having now reflected and seen how that Act has made such a positive difference for thousands of couples around the country, I deeply regret that decision.

"I got it wrong. I can tell you, many in this House will know how difficult it is for a Yorkshireman to admit that they got anything wrong.

"So if I had the opportunity again, I'd vote differently. I want to apologise.

"I want to apologise to my friends, I want to apologise to family members and constituents who identify as gay, lesbian or bisexual.

"I want them to know that I believe in their full equality.

"I won't have the chance to change that previous vote but I'm pleased to have the chance to stand in support of equality before the law today."

(Nigel Adams MP, who voted against the Equal Marriage act in 2013, apologises for and says he deeply regrets that vote while supporting the "Turing bill" to pardon those convicted of gay acts which have since been legalised.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020