North West Evening Mail apologises for wrong accusation against Transport Minister

The North West Evening Mail newspaper has issued an apology for an article which, quote,

"wrongly accused transport secretary, Chris Grayling, over false promises on the A595 road."

Details of the correction and apology can be read here.


To give where credit is due, the newspaper published a correction, apology and a letter from the minister, Chris Grayling, which sets out his position on the work being done to improve the A595.

The letter reads as follows:

"Dear editor,

"There have been no discussions between Transport for the North and Department for Transport ministers about removing the A595 from its strategic plan.

"When I visited Cumbria last year, I said that the A595 was at the top of my priority list. I stand by that statement.

"I reaffirmed my pledge in July, when I singled out the A595 as one of the roads needing an upgrade when I announced the Transport Investment Strategy.

"The A595 is vital to the county’s economy, but is blighted by congestion and hold-ups. I want to remove this barrier and help Cumbria’s economy flourish.

"Just a day later, I revealed plans for a consultation on the Whitehaven bypass, which will take place later this year. This could have wider benefits to the rest of west Cumbria by improving links for businesses and to jobs.

"Not only will a relief road for Whitehaven ease congestion on the A595, and improve air quality in the town. There will also be further benefits to the wider communities as drivers will no longer feel the need to rat-run through villages.

"Before Christmas I also launched a consultation on creating a Major Road Network, which would see the most important A roads benefit from up to £1 billion a year for bypasses, road widening and safety enhancements. Parts of the A595 and A596 could benefit from this, so I would urge your readers to have their say.

"If this new tier of roads comes into force in 2020, it would be up to Cumbria County Council and Transport for the North to put forward plans for enhancing these roads. I am told there is a compelling case for a bypass at Grizebrook and I look forward at seeing them.

"But this is not all the Government is doing in Cumbria. We are also funding £2.6 million to cut congestion on the A66 Fitz Roundabout and at Great Clifton.

"This is on top of £34 million of investment in 2017/18 to support road schemes in the county, including £3.4 million for repairing potholes.

"I want residents of Whitehaven to again get their voice heard when plans for the relief road are revealed later this year.

"And I also want Cumbria residents to rest assured that I am committed to improving the A595, as I have previously made clear.

Chris Grayling
Transport Secretary"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020