An easy scam to detect

In the past few days I have had two phone calls from fraudsters claiming to be calling from "The technical department of British Telecom."

Neither conversation lasted longer than a few seconds.

I gave the first twenty seconds to explain to me why he had used a trade name that the company he claimed to be calling from had retired more than 25 years ago and he hung up.

I gave the second a very short and sharp piece of my mind and hung up on him.

As I should know (having worked for companies in the British Telecommunications PLC group since 1985), the company dropped the trade name "British Telecom" on 2nd April 1991 in favour of "BT."

Anyone who calls you claiming to be ringing from "British Telecom" is a fraudster trying to rob you. Hang up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020